SUMMER WORSHIP SCHEDULE June 10 through Sept. 2
On all Sundays until September 9, we will have one worship service only at 9:30 a.m. See below for details about Rally Day, our return to two services on Sept. 9.
WE’RE HIRING! Director of Youth Ministries
Summary of Position: Perinton Presbyterian Church is seeking an individual to lead our very strong youth group program. This person will foster a love of Christ in our youth that will help them continue to grow their faith into adulthood. The ideal candidate will foster a welcoming and safe environment for youth to question, try, make mistakes, and grow.
● Lead and facilitate weekly youth group meetings (Sundays during school yr, 4:30-6:00pm)
● Team with volunteers to teach Sunday morning Bible Study to youth, grades 7-12 (Sundays during school year, 9:30-10:30am)
● Attend church at PPC on Sunday mornings
● Recruit and develop adult volunteers to assist with Youth Ministry Programs
● Lead youth trips, including February Work Camp, Summer Bike Trip, and October Mission Weekend with help from adult volunteers
● Generate and implement new ideas for fellowship, faith, and outreach among the youth
● Lead and facilitate youth group leadership planning/organizational meetings on a bi-monthly basis
● Provide leadership for youth-oriented worship services, typically three per year.
● Provide communication content, including emails to parents, updates to website, newsletter and bulletin items, and maintain social media presence (instagram)
● Along with volunteer leaders, organize confirmation activities and teach the confirmation class (typically every other year)
● Provide counsel and pastoral care to youth/families as needed
● Connect with kids on a personal level outside of church, going to sporting events, meeting for lunch, as time allows
● Deliver children’s message on Sunday mornings, and arrange for others to do this as appropriate
● Participate on Christian Education committee, including monthly 2-hr meetings
● 20 hour / week position, more or less as need for special events (retreat, work camp, bike trip)
● A strong faith in Christ and the Bible
● A passion working with youth to develop their faith and fellowship
● Experience working with youth in a Christian setting
● Excellent organizational and leadership skills
● Ability to work as a team with pastor and adult volunteers
● Strong technological abilities, for example using social media, email, texting
● Willingness to become an active member of PPC
Candidates should send their cover letter and resume by August 10 to: Karen Braun, Christian Education Chairperson, ℅ Perinton Presbyterian Church, 6511 Pittsford-Palmyra Rd. Fairport, NY 14450. Questions can be directed to Karen at (585) 455-6246 or [email protected]
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL July 30-Aug. 3, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
PPC’s Vacation Bible School is a popular week-long event that kids LOVE!
This year we’ll be diving into a deeper understanding of God’s love. We’ll explore Bible stories and learn that God is always with each of us, explore God’s presence in our lives, and serve God by helping others. Each day there will be singing, crafts, snacks and games. Bring a friend and join the fun!
The evening program for parents and friends is on August 2th at 7 pm. Older students (7th grade and older) are welcome to volunteer to help in a variety of ways.
VBS is open to children age 4 through those entering 6th grade. Nursery care is available for children of VBS staff. Volunteers are needed to help with all activities including teaching, crafts, music, games & snack time.
SPACE IS LIMITED SO PLEASE REGISTER EARLY
Registration fee: $25 per child, $60 max per family if you register by June 30; $30 per child, $75 max per family if you register after June 30. Make check out to Perinton Presbyterian Church and mail with this form to the church, PO Box 611, Fairport, NY 14450. Any questions contact Cyndi Besig at 585-734-7091 or [email protected]
WORSHIP ON THE HILL Aug. 9, 7:00 p.m.
A casual summer worship / prayer service will be held by the cross on the hill behind the church on Thursday, August 9 at 7:00 pm. The service, expected to last a half hour, will be followed by ice cream provided by Church Life. Come, bring a folding chair or a blanket and join in this opportunity to connect with others to worship our Lord in this beautiful outdoor setting!
RALLY DAY Sept. 9, 2018, 12:30 p.m.
What is Rally Day, you ask?
“…the beginning of the new Bible School year, we call the first Sunday, Rally Day. It is a day set aside to reassemble or ‘rally’ after the relatively quiet summer of vacations, camps, etc.
“In many Protestant churches, Rally day marks the beginning of the church calendar year. It typically occurs in September or early October. The customs associated with it vary quite a bit from parades and picnics to special church meetings where goals for the coming year are presented.”
We will have Texas BBQ Joint bringing us some wonderful barbecue to celebrate our return to two services and the start of the Christian education year. There will also be fun stuff for kids. More details to come! In the meantime, save the date!
FALL WOMEN’S BOOK STUDY Sept. 16, 23, 30 and Oct. 10, 14, 21, 28 at 9:30 a.m.
Fall Women’s Book Club: Present over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
Please register by September 9 by signing up in the Narthex or emailing Christine Scoppa @ [email protected].
Shauna Niequist writes, “A few years ago, I found myself exhausted and isolated, my soul and body sick. I was tired of being tired, burned out on busy. And, it seemed almost everyone I talked with was in the same boat: longing for connection, meaning, depth, but settling for busy.
“I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, neighbor, writer, and I know all too well that settling feeling. But over the course of the last few years, I’ve learned a way to live, marked by grace, love, rest, and play. And it’s changing everything.
“Present Over Perfect is an invitation to this journey that changed my life. I’ll walk this path with you, a path away from frantic pushing and proving, and toward your essential self, the one you were created to be before you began proving and earning for your worth.”